Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Poetry of the Civil Rights Movement



Long Live the King

"Martin Luther King!"
Across the Pacific Bay
I hear his name ring
As the children play

"Martin Luther King!"
A new generation was born
They fought for their freedom
To rip out the thorns

"Marin Luther King!"
It bounced through the streets
He was their white light
He was their hope against defeat

"Martin Luther King Rest in Peace"
They all cried
Not a single sound of bliss
Silenced by his wound; open wide

"Martin Luther King Rest in Peace"
Was a pierce to the heart
Of a man with infinite hope
Their bliss fell apart

"Martin Luther King Rest in Peace"
They all mourn
Sharper than a bee sting
As their hope was all torn

"Long live the King"
"Martin Luther King"
"Long live the King"


The River Boy

Under the murky, swampy water
Lay a world of eerie stillness
Where all was dark and deep
Entranced in a blanket of numbness

Until one day
The stillness was halted
By two men
Fearful, they bolted

Away from the waters
They ran in fear
While the boy, he surfaced
Very still and very near

They saw the River Boy
and the bubbles he blew
to the surface they rose
with a gut green hue

They could not tell anyone
For they feared the worst
That someone else may see him
And suffer the curse

As word got around
Of the boy and his home
Where he swam with the fish
And was free to roam

Crowds came to see
To catch him, to expose
To meet him again
With all of his soaked clothes

They searched and they searched
For the bubbles that he blows
But they found nothing
Just his dirty swamp clothes

"They Found Him! They Found Him!"
Shouted a mother of one
She cried and she yelped
For the return of her son

They found the River Boy
He was very still
They found him at last
His name; Emmett Till


Nine

Equality
Was all we desired
We had finally achieved it
But we were not admired

We refused and We fought
Our way into the system
They had fear in their faces
And we were the victims

We walked toward the doors
They remained our hope
To endure
The familiar wars

Although our goal was closer than before
It appeared to extend
Out of my reach
They did not want to blend

Crowds of fearful faces
Continued to grow
But this had to be done
I had to just go

Heat and Hate
Pounded against my ears
I was not welcomed
I was simply feared

We were only nine
We were little and small
We continued to shrink
As those around us grew tall

I could not show my weakness
I had to be strong
For my family, For my people
I had to prove them wrong

When I walked through the doors
A bliss arose from the center of my heart
I was part of a movement
I was the start

No more racial inequality!
I will no longer be confined
Together we will be known
as the "Little Rock Nine"


Malcolm X:

 I am Malcolm X

I wonder when the pain will stop
I hear the cries of my people
I see their daily suffering
I want freedom
I am Malcolm X

I pretend to be strong
I feel anger toward suppressors
I touch the tears of pain
I worry for our unity
I cry for humanity
I am Malcolm X

I understand the cries of my people
I say "Fight!"
I dream of equality
I try to unify the people
I hope we exceed the white power
I am Malcolm X


The Rope


 Birmingham Birmingham
The center of hatred
Were we fought for equality
We just waited and waited

We fought them with kindness
We wanted no fear
But all of my people
Were unsafe here

They tore us
They hurt us
They burned us
They broke us

United we stood
Infinite and strong
There was one thing we wanted
Just to get along

The fear had driven to their minds
Where it altered
And their humanity
Was torn apart then halted

We remained a wall
Hand in hand
And sang songs of hope
We continued to stand

Through the tears and screams
We sustained our motivation
Fighting against what they believed
A damnation

We were herded like cattle
To our inevitable truth
We were held in confinement
But we sustained our youth

We sang all day long
We sang about hope
That one day we'll be freed
From that old, torn up rope


No comments:

Post a Comment